The latest buzz in the aesthetic world at present is of hair transplants. The high rate of hair loss happening at quite an early age among men and now a day’s not so uncommon among females too, has driven them towards the idea of getting their locks back to where they belong. Other than a genetic tendency to hair loss, irregular sleep patterns, unhealthy lifestyle, late-night shifts at work, stress coupled with the poor air and water quality is leading to hair loss in young men in the city.
Hair transplant is among one of the most common procedures being performed on a routine basis at the aesthetic clinics with the idea of restoring the appearance and confidence of the person. But the big question arises is that are these surgeries safe?
A hair transplant is a minimally invasive procedure that harvests hair follicles from the back of the head known as the donor area. This area is preferred due to the characteristics of being resistant to hair loss as compared to hair in the frontal region of the head. The most practiced procedure for hair transplants is FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) and FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant). FUT involves cutting a strip of skin from the donor area and extracting healthy follicles from it that are transplanted in the area. In FUE single follicle is extracted and placed. It’s a time-consuming process and several sittings might be needed but leave no scar mark on the donor area as compared to FUT which leaves a scar.
Both surgeries involve minimum to no risk as such to the patient when done by a skilled surgeon taking into account the health of the patient. The results although vary depending on various factors like age, availability of follicles from the donor area, type of surgical procedure being followed as well as post procedural precautions taken by the person undergone transplant.
Quick facts check on Hair Transplant
- Transplant promises new hair but can only give coverage not density to the scalp.
- Transplant is carried out under local anesthesia, so the recovery is quick and the patient can go back home the very same day
- Transplanted hair, falls within a period of 4 to 6 weeks post-transplant. New hair starts sprouting from the grafted follicles within 3 months of transplant.
- Post-transplant medications are prescribed to minimize the risk of infection and reduce swelling.
- Transplant is not the only answer for hair loss there are many nonsurgical options also available to give coverage. The option is specific to the extent to baldness and the desired outcome one wants to achieve.
If we sum up the whole concept of hair transplant, it’s a viable alternative that one can restore to gain their confidence and better their appearance. It’s entirely a safe procedure that involves no potential risk to the person. For androgenic alopecia and even in cases of diffused thinning of hair in females, hair transplants can be a savior.